Grilled Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce
- 5 tablespoons fresh juice from about 3 lemons
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium cloves garlic, grated (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/4 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium clove garlic, grated (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Chicken: whisk lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt, and black pepper and grated garlic. Add and toss chicken to coat evenly, cover, and refrigerate to marinate for about 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
- Ttzatziki sauce: Place cubed cucumbers in a strainer set over bowl. Toss with ½ teaspoon salt and let sit to drain, about 30 minutes. Gently pat cucumbers dry with paper towel, place in small bowl, and mix with garlic, yogurt, and dill. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Skewer chicken pieces on 8 to 12 skewers. Discard used marinade. Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken skewers on grill (or cook in batches on grill pan) until well browned and internal temperature registers 155° on instant read thermometer, turning evenly to cook on all sides, about 5-8 minutes total. (Adjust temperature of grill if necessary). Remove chicken to a serving platter and let rest 3 minutes.
- Serve with Greek salad and Tzatziki sauce for dipping. (See our billimac.com website for Fresh Greek Salad recipe)