- 6.5 lb/3 kg
- olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tin of plum tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1/2 pint lager (300 ml)
- 2 scallions (spring onions)
- Wash mussels in cold water. Use only mussels which are tightly closed.
- In a large pan, heat some olive oil and saute the garlic in it to soften without browning.
- Add mussels and cook for 5 minutes (or just until the shells are opening)
- Add diced tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the lager and cook for another 2 minutes or until the broth reaches boiling point
- Serve in large bowls topped with sliced scallions